Howard and Moore Database
The main content of The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World, published in 2 volumes (in 2013 and 2014) is now available for download as an Excel spreadsheet. You can download the original spreadsheet that was provided on the companion CD of Volume 2, which included the family names, genus, species and subspecies names as well as subspecies groups.
We are also making available an updated and expanded version that includes the following. This version may be revised periodically in the future:
- updated taxonomy
- family, subfamily and tribe names
- genus names, authors and dates
- species names, authors, dates and distribution ranges
- subspecies names, groups, authors, dates, distribution ranges
Download version 4.0 (as published in 2 volumes, 2013 and 2014)
How to cite:Dickinson et al. 2014. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World, version 4.0 (Downloadable checklist). Accessed from https://www.howardandmoore.org.
Download version 4.1 (Aug. 2018)
How to cite:Christidis et al. 2018. The Howard and Moore Complete Checklist of the Birds of the World, version 4.1 (Downloadable checklist). Accessed from https://www.howardandmoore.org.
Printed volumes 1 and 2 are still available
The online version does not include some of the content that is available in the printed edition, including:
- thousands of rich footnotes detailing rationale for changes in bird taxonomy
- information on the gender of genera and gender agreement of species and subspecies
- several appendices, references, etc.
Copies of the books are available from Vine House Distribution http://www.vinehouseuk.co.uk/publishers and other distributors.